Deliveroo’s Guide on Staying Safe During Coronavirus
At Deliveroo we take the safety of our riders, restaurants and customers extremely seriously, in particular at this time when reports of COVID-19 (Coronavirus) are increasing. We know that you will want to make sure you stay safe during this period, as well as help protect the health of restaurant partners and customers. Below are a set of small but important steps you can take to help achieve this. We will keep this, and you, updated as the situation progresses.
World Health Organisation Guidance
The World Health Organisation (WHO) recommends that the following general cold and flu precautions are taken to help prevent people from catching and spreading coronavirus:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Put used tissues in the bin straight away
- Wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available.
- Try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
Further guidance from Hong Kong Health Department is available online here.
Staying Safe while working with Deliveroo
- Make sure to regularly wash your Deliveroo kit or clothes you wear while riding. Click here to order new or replacement kit.
- Wipe down your thermal bag before and after each time you ride.
- Wash your hands with soap and water thoroughly before you go online, and carry a bottle of hand sanitiser with you so you can keep them clean throughout your time on the road.
- Always store food in your thermal bag to help minimise the risk exposure to any potentially infectious airborne material.
- Seal your bag as soon as you’ve packed an order and keep it closed until you’ve reached the customer’s location.
- Regularly check the World Health Organisation website to keep up to date on the advice that they provide.
- Do not log in if you begin to feel unwell or display any symptoms of coronavirus. Seek medical attention straight away and avoid close contact with others. If you have booked slots that you need to cancel, reach out to us so we can freeze your statistics.
- Immediately notify us if you have tested positive for coronavirus. We will need to contact any restaurant partners and customers who may you may have come into contact with during that period, so we can check whether they are experiencing symptoms of coronavirus.
Working with Restaurant Partners
We have also shared guidance with our restaurant partners to help ensure their premises and employees stay as clean and safe as possible. With this in mind, we have advised them to:
- Minimise the number of people who are exposed to food by considering the area in which they have riders wait to collect food. We’ve asked that the area where riders wait is kept clean and separate from the area where food is being prepared.
- Ensure all packaging and bags are properly sealed using tape or staples before it’s handed over to a rider. This is to prevent potentially infectious airborne material from coming in contact with the food during delivery. We have also encouraged restaurant partners to double bag delivery orders so that food is kept safe inside before it is handed to the customer.
If you have any concerns or questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our dedicated Rider Support team through the rider website or your app.
Deliveroo’s Rider Support Fund - for those impacted by Coronavirus
Your safety is our priority and we want to make sure that riders who work regularly with Deliveroo and have contracted the virus or been placed in quarantine by a medical authority will be eligible for financial support for a period of up to 14 days.
Deliveroo is creating a support fund to make sure that riders impacted by the virus are supported during this difficult time. This is a one-off fund that will be time-limited and designed to support riders in these unique and difficult circumstances. The policy will remain under review as this unprecedented situation develops.
This fund is designed to support the riders who need it most. However, fraud is a criminal offence. It is important that we state that if the fund is abused we will enforce our rights to the fullest extent, which may include termination of your service agreement together with other legal remedies. We will also notify the police and other relevant enforcement agencies of any suspected abuse.
If you have contracted COVID-19, or have been placed in quarantine by a medical authority, please contact rider support for further information about how to apply for financial support from the fund.
For everyone else please take care and continue to check back for updated guidance on how to stay safe when working.
Customers will now be able to choose "Contact-free delivery" at check-out. You will be able to see when a customer has selected this option in the order's delivery notes. Helping protect the safety of our riders, restaurant partners and customers is extremely important during this time. Please make sure to follow every customer request you receive for contact-free delivery. If we receive several reports about a rider not following Deliveroo's contact-free policy:Their Supplier Agreement may be terminated
How to make a contact-free delivery:
1. Check the delivery notes to see if a contact-free delivery has been asked for
1. Let the customer know you’ve arrived
2. Place your thermal bag open on the ground outside their door
3. Step back at least 1 metre [or market req.] and wait nearby for them to collect it
4. Mark the order as delivered only when you’ve seen the customer collect it